The following are the books I completed in the month of May.2016 along with my rating on Goodreads:
- The Nest by Cynthia D’Apix Sweeney – 4 stars – I have a full review on my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9MIomVLwtQ
- I Think I am Outta Here by Carroll O’Connor – 3 stars – I have a full review on this blog.
- My Name is Lucy Barton by Elizabeth Strout – 3.5 stars – I have a full review on this blog.
- Making It Up As I Go Along by Marian Keyes – 4 stars
- Eat Pray Love Made Me Do It (various letters and essays) – 4 stars
- Titans by Leila Meacham – 3 stars
- The Bookseller by Mark Pryor – 4 stars
- Dinner with Edward by Isabel Vincent – 4 stars
- Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly – 4 stars
The one book I want to highlight is #8 – Dinner with Edward. This was such a sweet book. It was a memoir where Isabel describes how she met Edward through her girlfriend. Edward was her girlfriend’s father who was in his 90’s. He had recently lost his wife of 67 years and was so lonely and depressed. It was suggested to Isabel that maybe she would stop in and see Edward occasionally to check up on him. Edward was a fantastic cook and once he got to know Isabel she would join him for dinner once a week where he would cook these delicious 4 course meals. While the meals were fantastic, it was the conversation that the both needed — Isabel was unhappy in her marriage and Edward was lonely. He taught Isabel how to live and it was just a wonderful story that I would highly recommend. A very short read – barely 200 pages but it packed a big punch.